To blog, or not to blog...  

Posted by Jonathan E Johns



So I am re-vamping my 'Internet Presence' this week. Been planning and planning, and thinking on this for quite a while. My first steps are simple, changing the layouts, color schemes, and images on my Blogger/Blogspot page. In addition, I am going to try to tie in my Twitter Page (http://www.twitter.com/jonjohns65) layout, and my Facebook content. This is what I call my 'internet presence'.

In my search for better layouts, I am educating myself about how Blogger works, and all it's features. I am reading a lot more blogs from other folks (And not stealing their ideas as much as allowing myself to be inspired) checking out other folks twitter pages, and basically trying to figure out what I really want to do with my 'broadcast'.

In doing this search, I am discovering a lot of very interesting aspects of 'broadcasting oneself' and all the different approaches one can take. I made the decision a long time ago to create and be part of the internet. As far back as America Online 1.5 I was online, and figuring out rudimentary HTML and when I found GeoCities (R.I.P.) http://geocities.yahoo.com/, I found that I too could 'rant' and share and Blog, before Blog was really a common term. So I have not revisited this decision for over a decade!

I guess this is what they refer to as 'a long look in the mirror.'

So over the last year or so, I have tried to create original content by carefully (LOL) crafting a two-page at a time 'chapter' of thoughts and observances. Because I am a terrible editor, I tend to ramble, go off on tangents, and lose interest quickly. What this means is, I have a couple of folders of 'blog notes' that have never been published, and a blog page with only about one post per month. On the other hand, on Twitter, I am fairly economical, reply to others, post links, share quick thoughts, and basically micro blog. I do similar on Facebook, sharing things with friends and family, and interacting directly with folks.

So if I am doing so much more so much more often on Twitter, and Facebook, what is the problem with my Blog? (This is the long hard look part.)

I try too hard, and I don't work hard enough. I tried last year to increase my postings, and change my work habits by posting at least once per day for a week. I made it for 3 days, and then didn't post again for a month. (Exhibit A) I have at least ten unfinished blog notes on my laptop right now. (Exhibit B) I have about 350 Twitter postings over the last 3 months (Average 2+ per day?) (Exhibit C) There is the cold hard evidence of failure. This is not to mention that I share links with friends and family at least ten times per week.

So I am spinning my wheels, working harder, not smarter, and obviously have something to say. So why am I not effective at this?

I think the problem must lie in who I think I am talking to. It is a recurring theme among all the bloggers who write to 'new bloggers' "Who is your audience?"

It is also a common theme among Community College creative writing teachers, "Write What you know."

So, I suppose my original solution was correct, except that I did not use discipline to make it work. A Blog Post a day, no matter how small. About an hour per day on average dedicated to my Blog. First instinct in sharing things must be to share it on my blog first.

If I can do these things, then perhaps I can get this blog running on all 3.5 cylinders, rather than sputtering along like it has been. Add enough original content once a week or so, and I might even find some new followers!

So, if you are reading this, be patient, leave feedback, and don't be surprised if you suddenly see much much more content!

This entry was posted on Monday, October 12, 2009 at 12:45 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Just saw this today. Coincidence?

http://www.bitrebels.com/geek/get-inspired-to-update-your-blog/

October 12, 2009 at 3:23 PM

This looks great. There are Other Questions, though, too, that address whether a blog is something you need to be doing, if all you really want is to forward links and such. If the bulk of what you do is sharing data, and you only have Something To Say once a week, why stress yourself out forcing yourself into that mold? You're much better when you're not moldy.

Just sayin'.

October 13, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Post a Comment